An original Italian easy reader by Francesca Colombo
Loosely based on historical events and stories from the Bible, Giuseppe Verdi’s famous opera is here simplifed for learners of Italian (with quotes from the actual libretto!)
As the curtain goes up and the music begins, we find ourselves in Jerusalem’s great temple, which is about to be assulted by invading Babylonian troops! The Jews’ only hope is to use a prisoner, the Babylonian king’s daughter, Fenena, as a human shield. Unfortunately, their commander, Ismaele, owes Fenena a favour and plans to help her escape. Worse, King Nabucodonosor also has a second daughter, Abigaille, who is about to arrive on the scene and, in a towering rage, will cause all kinds of trouble…
Why not begin with our ‘easy reader’ ebook before seeking out a recording of the opera on Youtube? It’ll help! Or just use this original Italian reading/listening practice material to add a little variety to your study program.
- .pdf e-book (+ audio available free online)
- .mobi (Kindle-compatible) and .epub (other ebook readers) available on request at no extra charge – just add a note to the order form or email us
- 7 chapters (based on Verdi’s Act/Scene structure) to read and listen to
- Comprehension questions to check your understanding
- Italian/English glossary of ‘difficult’ terms for the level
- Suitable for students at pre-intermediate level or above
- Download your Free Sample Chapter (.pdf)
How do I access my ebook?
When your order is ‘completed’ (normally immediately after your payment), a download link will be automatically emailed to you. It’s valid for 7 days and 3 download attempts so please save a copy of the .pdf ebook in a safe place. Other versions of the ebook, where available, cannot be downloaded but will be emailed to people who request them. There’s a space to do that on the order form – where it says Additional information, Order notes (optional). If you forget, or if you have problems downloading the .pdf, don’t worry! Email us at the address on the website and we’ll help. Also, why not check out our FAQ?