An original Italian easy reader by Francesca Colombo
In the early thirteenth century, Frederick II became Holy Roman Emperor and King of the southern parts of Italy. But in Sicily, a large muslim community rebelled against his rule, so were brutally deported, a safe distance away, to the mainland city of Lucera.
An educated man, the Emperor could speak multiple foreign languages, including Arabic. He enjoyed mixing with the wise men of his day, many of whom were muslim scientists, philosophers or political advisors. With their advice and support, he went on to make peace with the Sultan and to become King of Jerusalem.
Fredrick’s relationship with contemporary popes, at the time the ultimate spiritual authorities and so rivals for power in the Italian pensinsula and elsewhere, was much less positive! Perhaps suspicious of the conflicted loyalties of fellow Christians, the emperor recruiting muslim archers, cavalry and even his personal bodyguard from the exiled Sicilian muslim community, men who would be loyal only to him.
Meanwhile, back in Lucera, a muslim young boy is being schooled in archery by his unsmiling, one-armed father…
- .pdf e-book (+ audio available free online)
- .mobi (Kindle-compatible) and .epub (other ebook readers) available on request at no extra charge – just add a note to the order form or email us
- 8 chapters to read and listen to
- Comprehension questions to check your understanding
- Italian/English glossary of ‘difficult’ terms for the level
- Suitable for students at intermediate level or above
- Download your Free Sample Chapter (.pdf)
How do I access my ebook?
When your order is ‘completed’ (normally immediately after your payment), a download link will be automatically emailed to you. It’s valid for 7 days and 3 download attempts so please save a copy of the .pdf ebook in a safe place. Other versions of the ebook (.mobi/Kindle-compatible, .epub) cannot be downloaded but will be emailed to people who request them.